HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WK099 HOLDEN-BICKNELL-TAYLOR
Location: 100 ft east of NEW LONDON TURNPIKE
68 burials with 47 inscriptions from 1843 to 1921
90ft x 85ft in fair condition enclosed with a stone wall; sign in fair condition
Tax Assessors Map #: Plat #: 252 Lot #: 3
NOTE: This cemetery located east of the Valley Country Club parking lot actually consists of 4 adjacent lots. They have been recorded as 4 sections:
- Sect A: This is probably the oldest lot. It is a fine cut stone wall, 90' by 85' containing Holdens. There are at least 15 fieldstone burials here, probably older Holdens.
- Sect B: This lot is adjacent to Sect A to the east. It is 90' by 35' surrounded by granite posts and iron rails. It contains Taylors.
- Sect C: This lot is adjacent to Sect B to the east. It is 90' by 30' and is not enclosed, although there are indications that granite posts ran along the east edge at one time. The south end has Masons and the north end has Bicknells
- Sect D: A wooded area north of the other three contains at least 2 graves (Budlong & Shearman).
James Arnold visited this lot June 12, 1892 (Vol II pgs 245-270) He found it on the brim of the hill on the New London Tpke on the east side of the road. Some lots neglected some fair.
Arthur James visited in the 1930's, 'on Jabiz's Hill, Vol 29 pg 222.
This cemetery has been recorded and checked.